Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Troubleshooting a Lochinvar copper fin boiler

Options
BigErl
BigErl Member Posts: 38
I looked at a Lochinvar copper fin commercial gas boiler today, model #CWN0747PM.  It’s supplying a hot water storage tank for an apartment building. The LED diagnostic code was flashing 4 times indicating igniter failure. I put in a new igniter and it fired up on every attempt. 4 or 5 hours later I got a call that they’re getting the same 4 flash error code. I’m going back tomorrow. Does anyone familiar with these units have any thoughts on what to check for?  My first (and only) thought is to cut off the wire lugs on the igniter and use wire nuts instead.  Other than that I’ll be calling Lochinvar tech support.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Comments

• Gary Jansen_4
    Gary Jansen_4 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    What replacement igniter are you using?
    When the igniter is heating up, what is your amp draw?

I ask those questions because I see a lot of off brand igniters being used, and failing soon after installation.

The control is looking for an amp draw in the 2.6-2.8 range. Check your incoming voltage also.

Thanks Gary
    BigErl
  • BigErl
    BigErl Member Posts: 38
    Options
    I put in a #100165937 PLT-3400. I’ll check the amp draw and voltage tomorrow. Thanks. 
  • Gary Jansen_4
    Gary Jansen_4 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Could be bad ignition module, or gas valve, poor grounding, air shutter improperly positioned, could also be deteriorated burners, partially plugged heat exchanger, draft issues....
    Its always fun, isnt it?