Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Vents Roundup

Options
djd
djd Member Posts: 18
Hi folks - I’ve seen bits and pieces of vent opinion throughout the forums here but wondering if anyone has a roundup of the best radiator vents to buy these days?

We have moved back into our house after a few years away and call me crazy but I’m looking forward to rebalancing the heat throughout my house this heating season. I have a smattering of different format vents and most are super old so not convinced they are operating at 100%.

As I may end up replacing a good few of them, wondering if there are any good recos for the best types for different use cases (e.g., far from boiler, variable, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• steamer77
    steamer77 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I just replaced all of mine with the ventrite #1s. Very easy to balance the system. I got mine at a supply house, they were a lot cheaper than the ones listed on amazon. 
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Stay away from varivents there terrible ,I use strictly gorton vents . Over all the years I ve had the best luck w them for both radiator vents and main vents . When I have longer mains I ll use 2 and on any more then that 8 move to a Barnes’s and Jones big mouth the final word on main venting . As for Hoffman 1a I used to use them a lot 20 years ago but the last time I used I wasn’t to impressed it seems the top adjustable piece has gotten a little cheaper and I ve hadn’t them not completely close so I completely stopped using them as for dole pretty much over priced and a hi failure rate right outta the box . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Start with the main vents first, and you may find your radiator vents are working perfectly.
    Install a good low pressure gauge, (0-3 psi), and make sure the pressure remains below 2 ounces during the venting phase.
    I used multiple Gorton #2’s in pre Big Mouth times, and my back pressure barely registers on the gauge. They also open quickly on shutdown, so no whistling rad vents, due to the air rushing into the vacuum which forms.
    Clean the pigtail, and verify the pressuretrol settings.—NBC
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    steamer77 said:

I just replaced all of mine with the ventrite #1s. Very easy to balance the system. I got mine at a supply house, they were a lot cheaper than the ones listed on amazon. 

I could never find ventrite’s on supplyhouse.Com Always had to order on amazon.

You are talking about these
    https://www.ventritevalve.com/products/1-radiator-vent/

My favorite vent. The range covers my smallest to largest radiators pretty well. I use either these or MoM or Gorton 4’s on a small radiator i don’t need adjustment on.
  • djd
    djd Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks a lot folks. SupplyHouse order placed. Opted for 2 Hoffman 1A’s and 2 Varivalves. With the different flow rates I should have good options to rebalance.

Appreciated.