Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purging new system with LLH

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Used Dan's "pumping away" module on my first whole house rehab -- that was back in the early 90's. Every project since has been basically a copy of that system ... easy purging. Close the valve before the Spirovent and purge through the Spirovent all the way back around. This project is different as I'm using a Viessmann 200 w/ LLH ..... what are the tricks? It's piped per the manual so there are two drains at the boiler ... all the pumps have valves. Manifolds as well ... Indirect circuit has valves and a drain.

The mechanical room is very tight so I could not go crazy ... Did not have the guys add a valve just before the Spirovent and the hot side of the LLH. Looking at system pictures here -- don't see people putting a valve there. The water feed does go through the Spirovent.

The system piping should be finished this week --- they have to connect the two remote manifolds to the two large (1 1/4) pipes that run out to that area of the house. Plumbing contractor will do the water connections for the boiler feed and indirect tank.

My head was spinning last night when I stopped over to the project and was thinking about how it gets purged ..... if I need to add something ...now is the time. Although adding valve before the Spirovent looks problematic.

What are the tricks? .... I don't see where dan has a new book covering this !

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    Pictures would help. I'm not sure about adding any valves around the spirovent or using that for purging? I always use the MBR for removing air that comes out of solution after a proper purge of the zones. 
    Typically I purge a boiler with a LLH the same as any other,  using a boiler drain with a ball valve after it on each zone. 
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    We always added an air vent to the top of the LLH. It's tapped for 1/2"
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    Air vent on a hydrosep and valves with drains on all 4 sides of it. I'm more of a fan of the Webstone purge tees and purge/fill valves side by side. Open 2 valves and close 2 others, it's done and hydraulic separation is accomplished