Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Closed loop boiler fill water

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
So.... I've discovered that this summer's drought has made my well and every other well yeald much harder water. All the municipalities locally also use well water.. same problem. 

I've tested several sources and found hardness to be in the 12-18 grains range. 

Most boilers recommend 7 grains maximum for the fill. 

I've looked into a fill cart and found it hard to justify. Locally available DM water is $1 a gallon. 

What about rain water, filtered through my jockey pump and 3 micron filter? Its chloride free, soft, and well....free! 

Thoughts? Am I crazy? 
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    ph is a bit acidic, adding some hydronic conditioner would be a good idea. Yeah you really don’t want that 12-15 gpg
    Look at TDS also, seems it varies widely with rain water.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    You can make an inexpensive cart with a submersible sump or utility pump, a bucket or sturdy trash can and a deionization filter.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    Car and window washers use DI, find them online. If it is just a single fill you can but a cartridge system. This would probably do 80- 100 gallon.
    It really depends on the TDS of the water you have. Higher TDS, less gallons out of the cartridges.
    If you plan on doing hundreds of gallons, or use water often, a RO system start to become cheaper/ gallon.

To build a cart, start with carbon filters, RO, then DI.
    The carbon filter extends the RO membrane, the RO does the heavy lifting before the DI.

Then add some hydronic conditioner to get your Ph boosted, O2 scavenger, film providers, etc.

Typical well and public water seems to run anywhere from 150- 300. Higher TDS in area where a lot of deicer chemicals are getting into water sources, chlorides mainly.

Here are two setup that window washers commonly use. On the left the 3 stage, on the right a resin bed DI. About $1800. vs 250 or so for a resin tank.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    The industrial sites which I service (high pressure steam) dont condition their makeup water at all. They all use the same chemical company which uses a closed loop measuring system and inject chemicals automatically. 

I'm using Sentenal X100 as recommended by Weil-McLain at a 1% dose. Total system volume is 95 gallons. As I have a 45 gallon gasification boiler in there as well. 
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    @hot_rod I looked at those but was hesitant if that was really what I should use. 

I may get one just for this. I've got a full boiler water test kit. I need to get a cheap TDS meter though. I can use my digital multimeter and get a decently close number though. 
  • hot_rod
    Yeah, you can fix some of the problems with hydronic or steam water by adding chemicals. If you fix the water first, the ongoing chemical costs may be lower.
    RO rinse water from a carwash would work if you buffer it. I think all the brand name boiler additives are good.Test every few years to assure they are still in good shape.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited October 2020
    Well water can work fine for a while until it doesn't. In today's world, water quality is a very, very important issue.

The effects of bad water on a boiler sys comes much later, long after the contractor has left the scene of the crime.