Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cold area of house

Options
shera1313
shera1313 Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 2
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi,
I have a hot water boiler with cast iron radiators. The far two radiators heat up but the rooms are still cold. The rest of the house heats up faster and turns off the boiler before the far radiators heat up the rooms. I have already reduced the flow to the remainder of the house through the use of balancing valves (to about 40% flow).

Here are some options I thought of to try:
Increase pressure in system (at about 15 psi now)
Run circ pump continuously (ideas on what wires to pull?)
Install t-stat to force boiler to meet set point in that room (could overheat rest of house)
Add zone control? expensive
Install new pump with more capacity

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Unfortunately you really need a hydronics pro to come over and evaluate the entire system. There's entirely too many variables, and hundreds of back and forth posts/photos needed-along with your ability to take temperature and flow measurements.
    Could be a simple as the wrong circulator, or something mechanical not working properly.
    Or it could even be something outside of hydronics, which would only be found by an on-site visit and looking around.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Have you tried to bleed air out of the rads?
    The tops may be air bound but allow enough water floor to get the lower warm.
  • shera1313
    shera1313 Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, I did. It is first and second story rooms that do not heat completely.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, It sounds like a balance problem. Could you throttle down the radiators that heat quickly, thus forcing more flow to the cooler ones? Basically, continue on the same path you've started and see if this approach alone can solve things. If not, then going with other approaches may be what you have to do. Additionally, I'm wondering if there is flow restriction in the lines to the cold rooms.

Also, is there anything you can do to reduce heat loss from the cold rooms?

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    Are you sure there isn't some air trapped in the radiators that aren't heating adequately?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    If they are piped in series you may be losing temperature before the end of the road.
    Do you have a multiple speed circulator? If so try bumping up a speed.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream