Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Heating the Central Park Arsenal

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
There’s a beautiful historic building in New York City’s Central Park called the Arsenal. It was constructed between 1847 and 1851 and designed to look like a castellated fortress because it was to be a place where they would store munitions. In this episode, Dan Holohan tells the tale of the Arsenal, its heating system, and how it has served the city through the years. Listen and subscribe.

ttekushan_3

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Great story! I did the heat and plumbing in the former Parks commisioner's home (Adrian Benepe) in Saugerties many years ago...
  • rmulye
    rmulye Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Dan, very informative and helpful. 
    SteamCrazy
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Great Story Dan Thanks for sharing.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, guys. Glad you liked this one. Much more to follow.  Please share and subscribe. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • mianman9920
    mianman9920 Member Posts: 1
    The question I have and that everyone always seems to ask when you find something like this is...

Why did it work this way for so long?
  • DanHolohan
    @minanman9920, it worked, but it took two hours for the radiators to get hot, and that was under a lot of pressure. They were just compressing trapped air.
    Retired and loving it.
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Always a pleasure to read tales about the mains and headers of New York from Dan!
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks! That is one very special building. I was lucky to get to see it from that perspective.
    Retired and loving it.
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    That’s the piece of me that I left there. My knowledge. I gained that knowledge by reading, and watching, and paying attention to everyone and everything.

Dan I enjoyed this article tremendously. Did you see William Shatner's comments on the internet, he is making documentary "You Can Call me Bill" Because at 91 years of age, he knows he does not much more time to live.
    He said in the internet article that theres a person going through his clothes in order to donate them or sell them. He said because "what I going to do with all these suits that I've got?"
    Next sentence " What am I going to do with my thoughts?" "What am I going to do with my 90 years of observations?" " It's not like I can take my clothes or my thoughts with me!"
    I agree with clothes not convinced on the thoughts !
    ttekushan_3
  • DanHolohan
    We’ll said, Jim. I’m trying to leave behind as much as I can. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • lager
    lager Member Posts: 56
    Dan ,,,,,,,you have Shared your thoughts & observations thru this site, books, and speaking tours.

Many Thanks for that ;)
    mattmia2ttekushan_3jamplumb
  • mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18
    Another great article Dan. Thanks for writing it.