Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New near boiler piping, mains and branches.

Options
Good afternoon, I have taking on the project of redoing my steam piping due to it needing upgrade and also due to most of it just completely incorrect from what seems to be years and years of repairs or additions. Needless to say I have come long way but need to finish with cold season bearinmg down on us. I went with a counterflow design , At this point I'm at the condensate lines and I due have Dan's books and have been following them, but I have question about my set up. I have a dedicated main for my two risers to second floor and attic there is two Radiators on each riser with 55 Square feet of EDR on each. I was originally thinking of just picking up the risers of the main, but in Dan's book he talks about dripping the risers so I figured I listen to the man. Question is if in a counter flow system do I need to Drip the Risers and if I do and choose to drip in to a dry return using a loop because of the loop seal will have water in at all times will my A Dimension still be at my lowest main at Boiler ( counterflow) or will it chang to the end of my dry condensate return line? One more thing does that condensate line need to be vented? Ok Please Advise Dan if your out there we have emailed a few times I would love your input on this as well. Thanks Ed " Steam crazy"

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If you drip through the risers to a U-tube there will be less condensate counterflowing against the steam, and that’s always helpful. 
    Retired and loving it.
    SteamCrazy
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Ok so by u tube you mean a loop seal with a return line being wet or dry correct?
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    By the way, Thank you for your time Me. Holohan.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes, and it would have to connect to a separate dry return, which makes this sort of a hybrid counterflow system.  
    Retired and loving it.
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    Great! Thank once again. I like that a Hybrid Counter Flow System I think that's the perfect name for it. I will share pic' s as soon as I can. Please keep in mind that it has temporary hanger and not insulated yet. But It has been inspired by your book and stories. Something that someone will marvel at hopefully many years later when I'm long gone. Maybe if you like I will be honored if you sign it with me. If up to par that is. No hard feelings if not lol. Well anyway off to work I go I got to finish this project before mother nature stops being nice to us. Thanks again Ed
  • SteamCrazy
    Options

• SteamCrazy
    Options
    The pic by the chimney is one of my riser to upper floors that will be dripped in to a wet return
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    The one with mostly wall by gas line is the other riser to feed upper floors once I turn that fitting down on main it will feed my loop seal to a dry return along wall for better space use. Making sure I maintain proper pitch for condensate return.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    edited October 2020
    Options
    That is a very complex header. Not sure but I think the riser by the chimney may be problematic since it goes downhill off the main before going up.
    AMservices
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    @gfrbrookline steam is a gas. It will go anywhere to look for a vent. It needs to equalize. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Running down hill is fine. I just hope that tee remains free of backed up condensate when the boiler is under pressure. You will probably be fine if you keep the pressure low.

Nice piping job.
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Options
    Steam goes down just as easy as it goes up. 
    As long as your above "A" dimension and you drip the lowest point. 
    @SteamCrazy very nice job. Makes me happy to see someone go as far as re piping the system to keep steam alive. 
    Spared no expense double dropping the piping for your mains. 
    I have to ask, why did you go with a counter flow system? 
    And maybe its because I cant see everything from my house, but why didn't you feed the riser by the chimney from the end of the main, just past the 2 pvc lines where the coupling and plug is? 
    Then you could have dripped the riser where it goes straight up. Your so close to the boiler there,  i would drip into a wet return right back to the boiler. No need to make a loop seal there. 
    Technically, I don't think you need a loop seal on the riser by the gas lines if you pipe the drip line like a parallel flow system from that point. 
    I think you would only need a loop seal if you where planning on dumping the condensate back into the main.  

STEAM DOCTOR
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    Thanks for all the input Gent's the plan is to get as low as I can with the pressure. Also my mains will have there own condensate drip lines so there should be no back with this counter flow set up they are sloped towards the boiler. I choose this style system because I liked the idea of keeping my mains up hi at there ends. Good head room still leaves the Cellar very useable. Thanks once again all advice is always welcomed .
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!  GOt new near boiler, complete piping redo done. Up and running works amazingly quite and smooth. I still have to insulate it all but needed to finish pipe work first so I can take measurements. Also have to add a few more hangers. Thanks Dan and for your input as well as everyone else that gave some input. I will post some pics of progress so far...
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Congratulations! 
    Retired and loving it.
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    Here are some pics. I know some will think that near boiler piping and condensate line look a little crazy, but it's how I wanted it. All my piping is low at the boiler I can walk through out my cellar with hit my head on anything. That to me was important... getting all that to be and work correctly took some planning to say the least... 
    nf
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    Thank you Mr. Holohan if it wasn't for you this would not been possible. The knowledge I got from your teachings was priceless. I really mean that!! As I said before The way you speak with the passion that you have is infectious there is no other way to put it. THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES! I which maybe I could at least maybe buy you a beer and shake your hand. Thank you again and the THE DEAD MEN. I too just shut up and listen!
    AMservices
  • SteamCrazy
    Options
    BTW I was able to get house T-Stat up to 80 with all the windows open and fans on.. even the attic space which never got heat was unbearable.. lol thanks to that drip line in to that loop seal
  • SteamCrazy
    Options