Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco air scoop

Options
kiddoctane
kiddoctane Member Posts: 1
We have an old soon to be replaced gas furnace downstairs. Above the furnace is an air scoop. And on the top side is a bleeder valve. Should that screw be open? I opened it quickly, heard air and water flow then closed it back up. I'm not talking about the Hy-vent on top but the bleeder valve. Lately very noisy, hardly any heat and couldn't even drain expansion tank. Help!

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Hmmm. Some pictures of your system posted here would be most helpful.

For starters, and for what you have described. It sounds like you have an air problem. Your system needs to be purged.

Post some pictures of your system so we can get a better idea of what you have.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited October 2020
    Options
    In case you have trouble getting pictures... Is this the type of air scoop you have? With 2 top openings?

The larger opening is supposed to be piped to a tank that does not have a bladder. The old fashion Expansion Tank.

Does your larger opening have a plug, a valve, or something else?

The reason I asked is your mentioned the "HY-Vent" is not the place you "opened then closed"

So if there was air then water that actually came out of the opening, then there was air in the scoop. the Hi Vent should allow most of that air out if it is functioning properly. They fail regularly. It may be time to replace the Hy-Vent.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    When you replace the boiler, replace the air scoop with modern air elimination.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Intplm.