Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless/HM Smith adding Flue Rods ECT / EC or SC/ SCT / BB8 boiler?

Ridgid1 Member Posts: 4
edited October 2020 in Strictly Steam
Just replaced a Peerless ECT-06 Steam Boiler long Block. I was asked about Flue Rods baffles to be added too up efficiency of heat transfer like in the Sct-06 (pg 5)? I see in the new paperwork it mentions them, has lengths and dimension heights where to add them in the flue sections. They look like 1/2" rods made of metal? Are they aluminum or steel? Are they really effective? Kit upgrade number? Any input?
Interestingly, the sct-06 which is the same block as ect or bb8 also shows a flue damper on the flue box. any insight or suggestions?


  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 905
    edited October 2020
    I remember when H B Smith brought out the supposed "turbulators" to increase the efficiencies for their 350/3500, 450/4500, and640/650/6500 series boilers and the company was given a few sets to test and file reports on the findings. The only thing they accomplished was to add enough restriction to the flue passages in the non I D Fan units to cause the units to fail on a low draft condition. My boss sold a ton of these useless "turbulators" over my objections. I believe that Smith soon dropped them from their accessory line and most ended up on the scrap pile. I never found any that worked in a cast iron sectional boiler but they did work fairly well on a "fire tube " boiler if there was enough draft after the install.
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,532
    They still use them in the Smith 28s now made by Peerless I guess. They come with a new boiler. Peerless makes the same boiler with a Peerless model #