Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting a Viessmann 200 boiler

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
What do most people use to vent Viessmann wall boilers. Single pipe exhaust?

It seems the contractor hired by my previous builder used 3" PVC -- this by way of Viessmann is a no go. The new guys were surprised at the cost of CPVC and don't really like it anyway. Some problems getting the OE Viessmann from the distributor that sells Viessmann products ... due to supply. Great. The exhaust goes out the roof -- but, the intake vent will come in from a side wall. Viessmann seem Ok with PVC there. It seems that nothing is cheap ---- told the installers I will pay for whatever the cost. Two story addition with cathedral ceiling .. the boiler was picked based on the distance of this exhaust. One of the Bosch unit did not work w/ flue length.

My project has been in the works for years. Major fire. After fighting Insurance and township my architect ended up telling me to fire my builder just before all the rough services went in .. ended up with a lot of bought equipment (boiler etc). Getting a new builder when you fired one is not an easy task and I almost sold the property out of cost and frustration. Anyway -- it took another two years -- Found a good one and the HVAC guys have done a great job with a complex system and install. The PVC was done by the last guys as the roofers doing the metal roof needed a pipe .. never a dull moment ! I'm suprised they used the wrong stuff as they install Viessmann boilers?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Polypropylene. You can use PVC for the combustion air pipe.
    Robert O'BrienSTEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,669
    Options
    Make sure you calculate the equivalent length of the pipe carefully if you were in a situation where the run was too long for one boiler.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Poly is the only logical choice of the Viessmann approved materials
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    STEVEusaPA
  • TAG
    Options
    I think the Bosch Greenstar was the one with a shorter Flue length -- The Bosch/ Buderus was fine. I was hearing of many problems with the ....142 I think is the model. I went with the Viessmann .... I also heard from a few people it was an excellent boiler on propane.

Thanks for the pipe recommendation --
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    We use Centrotherm thin wall polypropylene, we two pipe it. Don’t use concentric like the old says 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,006
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Centrotherm polypropylene all the way. Very light and easy to use although strapping it securely often takes longer than running the pipe.

A few years ago, it was hard to find a local supplier and I had go out of state. It's better now.

Here's their catalog:
    https://www.centrotherm.us.com/getmedia/4cf931d2-09fe-4430-a61f-90dab777c8d1/Centrotherm-2019-Catalog_2.pdf.aspx
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • TAG
    Options
    Thanks -- I passed on the information. Sometimes is easier to have some direct answers to what works .... VS having choices.