Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking to add an indirect DHW to my tankless coil

Options
MaxMercy
MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I've searched this forum and my head is spinning. My wife always complains about the hot water - she runs the shower too fast and won't consider running it at lower volume - so I'm looking to upgrade. I have some room to bump the limits on the boiler, but that wouldn't be my first option, plus the boiler has to maintain temperature throughout the non heating season which is 5-6 months where I am. Plus, my boiler is capable of cold firing and use an outdoor reset and I'm not taking advantage of either.

I was all set on picking up an Amtrol Boilermate as it seemed like an easy solution, but I've read that many pros have not been happy with the reliability of the Amtrol. So, with at least *some* regard to cost, what is an ideal long term solution that will be relatively reliable and long lived? I mean, before I replaced my old boiler, at least I can say the hot water coil was trouble free.

When I installed my two heating zone boiler a couple of years ago, I picked up a Taco SR503 three zone controller with the idea I may add an indirect at some point, so I have the third priority zone not connected right now. The boiler uses a Hydrostat 3250+.

So would a stand alone WH or an add-on to my boiler be the better option?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Either one is fine. I like the Utica 40 gallon indirect and it has a stainless steel tank. Tank construction depends on the water in your area,

What are you using for fuel oil or gas?
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    It's a AFG oil burner and I'm on a well. It had a pH issue which I corrected with a Calcite tank, the rest of the water tests great.