Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler troubleshooting

Options
jsilva2
jsilva2 Member Posts: 3
Hello, I’m hoping some can help me figure out why my gas boiler won’t fire. 

I have a New Yorker gas boiler, baseboard heat with two zones. One circulator pump and two taco zone valves. I have set both thermostats to heat and I’ve set them both well above the room temperature but the boiler does not kick on. There is no voltage at the circulator pump. The exhaust damper does not open. I have a zero volt reading on the spill switch and zero volts on the roll switch. All of the terminals on the low water cut-off read 115v except for furthest right which reads 0v. I also have no power to the aquastat. I have tried switching the damper to manual and opening manually and I have tried adjusting temp on the aquastat both resulted in no change. I have good pressures on both the expansion tank gauge and boiler gauge. The pilot is lit. I have attached some pictures if anything helps. 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If you have voltage between the black and white in the low water cut off but none between Red and White, the problem lies there . Is there a jumper from Black terminal 2 to terminal 3 ? If yes .... Either a bubble is trapped in the lwco piping ,, or the lwco if bad ..

I don't see an jumper ...

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • jsilva2
    Options
    Thank you it’s hard to see in the picture but there is a metal jumper plate between terminals 2 and 3 and I can measure 115 volts on both terminals. 
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Are the zone valves open? They're on a separate transformer on the side of the boiler. Is there 24v at that transformer? If the valves are open, or you can manually open, try jumping the end switches. At that point there should be 24v between G and C at the boiler control relay. If yes then check for 24v between Y and C. That's the circuit that goes through the safeties and ends at the gas valve. If no 24v between Y and C, then the relay is faulty. Just pop the clip and pull it out. Turn off the power first. 
    levient
  • jsilva2
    Options
    Replaced the relay and system fired right up thanks up
    rick in Alaska