Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this water level gauge site glass installed upside down?

Options
bkc
bkc Member Posts: 37
Hi,

The continuing saga of learning about the "new" steam boiler in our church. I did a walk through tonight following a NYC "Annual Low Pressure Boiler Inspection -Review List - ".

One item on the list is that the site glass must meet this regulation:

4-5.7 Water gage glasses.

Each steam boiler shall have one or more water gage glasses attached to the water column or boiler by means of valved fittings, with the lower fitting provided with a drain valve of the straightway type with opening not less than ¼ inch diameter. Gage glass replacement shall be possible with the boiler under pressure. Transparent material other than glass may be used for the water gage if suitable for the pressure, temperature and corrosive conditions encountered in service

It seems to me that the site glass has been installed upside down, as there's nothing that feels like a drain on the bottom of the glass. Instead, the tap where the drain should be seems to be on the top.

You can see the plug-like part sticking out of the top of the site glass in the picture below.

Do you think this is upside down, and is also missing a drain valve?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    That happened to me when I had the boiler changed 7 years ago, luckily I caught it and had the installer fix it. It should be corrected but with the other piping in place it might not be easy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yes, it is installed upside down and that hex head fitting that is open on the bottom (top now) is the drain valve. I believe you open it with a 7/16" wrench. There should be enough room to spin the valves to make it right.