Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help: feed line/valve clogged (pics included)

Options
2hot2handle
2hot2handle Member Posts: 4
edited September 2020 in Strictly Steam
Hello everyone,
my first post. Single pipe steam residential gas fired boiler. Weil-McLain EG-65 209k btu output. Had to turn on heat last week but before doing so did a blow down (I do once per week in heating season) and while operating the manual bypass feed valve I could barely hear water going through the valve and it took much much longer To raise the water level In the sight glass. I tried opening the spigot that is downstream in the feed line and at first air came out then just a trickle of water. Looking for advice on next steps. I do a lot of my own work including replacing LWCO, thermocouple, replaced leaking buried wet return line, new main vents, and I have the lost art of steam heating so I feel comfortable replacing a valve or disassembling and cleaning. Here are some pics. Thanks in advance for your help! Steve

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    Are those strainers clear?
  • 2hot2handle
    edited September 2020
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Are those strainers clear?
    Bear with me as I’m still learning. I was not aware that the Y shaped units had strainers in them . I thought only a one way check valve. Is it as simple as unscrewing the hex bolt ,removing screen ,clean, and replace? If so I will do so and report back. Thank you 
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Actually, i'm not sure. i suppose the could be checks. They look like y strainers, but others can tell you better.
  • 2hot2handle
    Options
    I looked it up. They are Red White wye strainer with integrated check valve. They have stainless mesh screens that are removable for cleaning.
  • mattmia2
    edited September 2020
    Options
    If that is a boiler drain between them, you might want to try to flush the crud still in the pipe when you remove the first strainer out that drain.
  • 2hot2handle
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    If that is a boiler drain between them, you might want to try to flush the crud still in the pipe when you remove the first strainer out that drain.
    Yes , it’s a drain. Yes, will try to flush.