Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amtrol WH7L no hot water

Jerredm
Jerredm Member Posts: 1
Hey, so to preface all of this, I’m not really educated in any sort of heating. My wife and I bought a house about 6 months ago, and everything has been fine. We could run two showers at once, nice hot water. Yesterday, seemingly out of the blue, the water was like warm, and then just cold. 

I was trying to look for possible fixes. I tried just simply resetting it from the panel which obviously did nothing, but hey, it was worth a shot. So I’m seeing a lot of people running into issues and fixing it by replacing the smart controller, but mine isn’t humming, or displaying any errors. It’s just cold water. 

So I was going to maybe just try to put a new smart controller on it, but I wanted to get some opinions before I spent the money. (I also heard that if you call Amtrol they might replace it for free? So I’m probably gonna give that a shot first)

any help would be great! 

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    The Amtrol tanks had a higher than normal failure rate. Usually the coil would develop pinholes, but increased boiler pressure would often discharge the boiler relief valve. You may want to consider replacing with a stainless steel indirect. If the tank is still under warranty, try Amtrol first.
  • This is just an indirect water heater, no?

On a call for DHW, a zone valve opens or a pump turns on and the boiler circulates water to heat the water in the tank. Something in that circuit is not working and it should be relatively easy to find and repair.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    rick in Alaska
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Without knowing anything else about your heating system, why not get a qualified tech over there to diagnose and fix the problem instead of throwing parts at it.
    You're going to need one eventually, might as well find one now before it gets too cold.
    steve
    kcopp
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited September 2020
    Bluntly, I was never a fan of Amtrol BoilerMate's. If you have a mixing valve on it and sensor, look there. The question is--is the water in the tank hot and what temp?
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    Did you set up an oil account or forget to pay the gas bill?   Turn up a there and see
     If the heat works.