Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien Bypass Mixing valve error and knocking sound

Options
I have a Navien NPE 210S Tankless water heater that has started marking a knocking sound at the end of the heating cycle when the unit goes back to the standby mode. The unit is also throwing a 445 Bypass mixing valve error. I still have hot water and there are no leaks.

The part is easy enough to replace but I wanted to ask if there is anything else I should check before I replace the mixing valve.

Thanks!

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,302
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi @carne_asada , Do you know what the static water pressure is and, are there any valves in place that would prevent backflow? Also, it might be interesting to put a pressure gauge close to the heater and see if the pressure jumps when the heater is making that noise.

Yours, Larry
  • carne_asada
    carne_asada Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi @Larry Weingarten ,

The cold water supply pressure seems normal ( I haven't tested) but does occasionally dip depending on building usage.

I don't know if there is a backflow valve (there is likely one for the whole building -nothing in the unit) - the unit is a 4th floor apartment serviced by a booster pump for the building.

I do hear the boiler sometimes adjust (to what I assume) is a dip/increase on the cold pressure when I use just cold water or the building supply pressure changes (knocking also happens during these adjustments) The knocking sound I am hearing is consistent on every end of cycle and during these non-ignition adjustments.

One more piece of info - there was a building wide power outage a few weeks ago where water pressure dropped due to the booster pump going down (boiler also was not powered up during this time).

Thanks!