Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/8 and 1/2 on same system -- control/pump question w/ multi manifolds

TAG
TAG Member Posts: 756
Following advice on this forum I had my contractor install the heavy underfloor plates and the 3/8 " Viega tubing recommended by manufacturer. Ended up with 11 loops all under 200' and very close in length. The contractor did a fantastic job. All of this is to warm the wood floors of the upper level living room in my converted church.

The bulk of the house is new Warmboard subfloor that will be covered in white oak. They ran a 1 1/4 copper line out to the area where both the 11 loop plate manifold needs to go as well as one of the Warmboard manifold (7 loops under 250'). My hope was to simply control the upper plate heated floor with a thermostat and zone valve off of the 1 1/4 line and have the Warmboard loops on a Cross Manifold so I can fine tune a couple of those loops. I don't need to sub control the living room floor --- it's one open space.

My question: Can this all work from one pressure pump off the Low Loss Header?

Back in the mechanical room -- I will have another 5 loop manifold of Warmboard that will be running off the boilers reset. I will also have 8 loops of slab ( two rooms of 4 each). My hope was with the new pressure sensing pumps I can have one that will simply provide the flow as things open and close.

In the mechanical room we would have 1 1/4 copper coming off the low loss header -- two 1" "T's" to the 5 loop Warmboard manifold and the 8 slab manifold ..... and then I will do the same at the remote location about 30' away.

I know the "old school" way would be to place a pump at each "T" as they come off the main 1 1/4 line.

Sorry for the long post ... this is an odd project and my contractors don't have experience with the new pumps and I would like to simplify as much as possible. The heat load on the whole project is only about 60k due to the spray foam used on the project.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,864
    You would need to know the total gpm of everything you want to flow from a single circulator, and the pressure drop.
    Balance valves could be used on the branches off the sep to assure each manifold gets the exact flow required.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 756
    Guess that's why contractors just put pumps on each one -- no math!

I will have to do some searching on the Warmboard layout -- but I'm not sure that part of the package ...

Earlier someone gave me the head difference for the 1/2 to 3/8 -- but I think I was in the 7 loop range not the 11 now.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,864
    You can run from the math, but you cannot hide. You need the same info to size zone circulators as you do a single circ with multiple zones.
    Even today's "smart" pumps need some direction.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream