Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot Assembly

I have been working on a set of burners where the pilot flames are tough to control and have trouble maintaining a strong flame. Looking to find a pilot assembly that can be regulated to the size of the flame needed and give the sensor enough flame to sense
Fractoggen

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Does the pilot light have it's own regulator?
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    What type of burner or device is it that you are working on. Add more detail and a few pictures
  • StephenQuattrucci
    StephenQuattrucci Member Posts: 11
    There is a regulator in the gas valve (similar to the 7000 Robertshaw model). It’s a circular propane burner with the pilot assembly mounted on a steel plate. I’ll attach some pictures to give a better idea of what we’re working with. The first is the burner itself, the second is the pilot flame (as you can see, it is too big) The main flame pulls the pilot flame away from the sensor and shuts the burner off.
    Fractoggen
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    I have solved many intermittent pilot flame failures by lowering the pilot gas pressure rather than increasing it. You may want to install an adjustable orifice on the gas valve to slow the opening of the valve.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    StephenQuattrucciFractoggen
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I learned that the hard way also. After increasing pilot pressure the flame will lift away from flame sensor when full burner on.

Also is there a cover/grill/screen that goes above the burner?
    Once did a fireplace LP burner and without the "logs" on the burner the flames flared way up and would lift the pilot. FWIW
    StephenQuattrucci
  • StephenQuattrucci
    I'll have to give that a try, there are three burners that all have similar problems so hopefully that will do it. We've increased the pressure before and fiddled around with the pilot pressure but to no avail. The biggest issue is when the full gas comes on, the sensor is quite sporadic with the flame
  • retiredguy
    edited August 2020
    The burner orfices look the same as I used to see on a Bryan Flex Tube Boiler. In the 2nd picture all I see is a pilot that appears to be burning without the pilot orfice in place or with the pilot combustion air missing or clogged. That is not a typical pilot flame. Could you show a picture of just the pilot when it is not lit and a picture of the pilot lit from a different angle. If the 2nd picture is with the pilot by itself, then there is something wrong with the pilot assembly or the amount of gas supplying it. The problem may be in the pilot assembly itself. Check the pilot orfice size and could someone have altered the orfice size?
    StephenQuattrucciFractoggen
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Cold the pilot be set up for natural gas and be burning propane or vice versa?
    StephenQuattrucci
  • StephenQuattrucci
    I can get more pictures this week as we tinker around with it and get back to this page. Appreciate all the help, we'll see what happens from here. The pilot is setup for propane and there is an adjustable orifice. We have an additional burner setup that we will be experimenting with away from the job site and see how that goes
  • retiredguy
    I have never seen a pilot with an adjustable orfice. The pilot flame you show looks like a natural gas pilot orfice using propane. Also, remember the burner orfices have to be sized for propane