Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Staple Help- Omega Plates

Options
clementine
clementine Member Posts: 6
edited August 2020 in Radiant Heating
Hi there- 
Looking for some advice on type of staples and stapler to use with “sandwich method” hydronic install heat plates. The omega plates I am using are a bit thick and I’ve been struggling to sink anything but a 1/4” staple through them. I’ve read 5/8” is best. (I can actually easily pull the plates up off the plywood with the 1/4”- trying to avoid any movement/noise). I’ve read some people using a pneumatic stapler- perhaps longer staples sink flat with this? 
Any advice appreciated! 

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    an electric carpet staple gun will work well.
    STEVEusaPAclementine
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What is going over the plates? The next layer will pinch the plates tight. Ideally the plates touch the upper layer, any “proud” staples will limit a good contact to the flooring.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • clementine
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    What is going over the plates? The next layer will pinch the plates tight. Ideally the plates touch the upper layer, any “proud” staples will limit a good contact to the flooring.
    Pex-al-Pex 1/2” then QuietWalk underlayment- engineered floating floors on top. 
    Yes, trying to get the staples as flush as possible. Only had luck doing this with a basic electric stapler and 1/4” staples. Was hoping to use a longer staple, but lots of trial and error and can’t seem to get anything longer to sink into the plate and plywood. Tried 2 different electric staplers and some handhelds. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The thick plates take a pretty robust pneumatic stapler to get a good length and sink depth. The type they assemble pallets with. Maybe rent one for the job.

A roofing nail gun has enough oomph to drive thru most plates, even the heavy extruded ones from Radiant in Bozeman. Roofing nailers are usually rentable at the box stores.

Just enough fasteners to keep them put, the next layer is more important for keeping them tight.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • clementine
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    The thick plates take a pretty robust pneumatic stapler to get a good length and sink depth. The type they assemble pallets with. Maybe rent one for the job. A roofing nail gun has enough oomph to drive thru most plates, even the heavy extruded ones from Radiant in Bozeman. Roofing nailers are usually rentable at the box stores. Just enough fasteners to keep them put, the next layer is more important for keeping them tight.
    I’ll try that. Thanks for the help!!