Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts Manifold Leaking through Balancing Valve

FB
FB Member Posts: 45
While replacing deteriorated "O" rings that seal between the Balancing Valves and Return Manifold, I found that one of the Balancing Valves has been leaking at the hole in the brass plug where the spring-loaded nickel colored pin protrudes upward to contact the Actuator. When the brass plug is unscrewed from the valve, it reveals an "O" ring near the bottom of the plug that seals between the OD of the plug and the ID of the valve. But I don't see any sealing to prevent water from leaking up and out the ID of the hollow brass plug's passage hole for the nickel colored pin. (The bottom photo makes the inside of the brass plug appear dark but there is no sealing inside the plug) Watts does not list these valves in their catalog. Any suggestions for stopping the leak are appreciated

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    yes there is an o-ring up inside there. I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace. Or the stem could be worn that a new ring may not seal.
    Is it a stainless manifold, how many ports?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    FB
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I think you would be able to pop that out and back in with a small angled pick or wire. You would probably have to have just the right diameter and thickness to get it to both seal and stay where it is supposed to be.
    FB
  • FB
    FB Member Posts: 45
    Hot_Rod, thank you! There is a tiny o-ring in there! I can see it with a magnifying glass and a really bright flashlight. This is a seven port stainless manifold. Watts does not catalog the valves or any of the internal valve parts, explaining they are "proprietary". When this manifold gets replaced, it will be with a more user friendly Caleffi. Mattmia2 is no doubt correct about replacing o-rings but the eyes are no longer sharp and timely sourcing would be a problem.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    In have a brand new 5 port that you are welcomed to for parts. Cover my shipping and trip to PO, 30 bucks?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited August 2020
    You might use a sewing needle to extract the o-ring. I would polish the protrusion with 1200 wet and dry sandpaper with a little water. I buy my EPDM o-rings from OringUSA. com I would lube the protrusion with a little pure silicone grease.