Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam, pandemics, fresh air

ttekushan_3
ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
Here’s a nice timely article that includes a shout out to Dan H. 

I’ve been pondering this very thing as our State went on a pogrom to destroy all of our public schools that were built to standards that addressed disease. This started about 18 years ago and they’re nearly all gone now. Or they’ve improved this feature out of them. Of course there’s extra energy use involved. But since people and societies are heat engines, you can pay now or pay later, IMO. 

Nice to see it in the mainstream!
terry

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    I lived in a home down the street from my current one that was built around 1925. Bathrooms were subway tiles half way up the walls, Had a huge green monster of an attic exhaust fan that was (240v), probably 1HP, and total radiation was I calculated at one time 1000EDR for 3200sq ft. Home needed 500EDR if that.

It was 2 pipe so over radiating worked fine as you could just throttle down individual rooms, but heat them up quick if desired. Boiler was removed before I bought it but most radiators were still there.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    More research on the importance of indoor humidity during the pandemic:
    https://p.dw.com/p/3hGIX
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Virus will be over in a year. No need to overbuild. How will we deal with short cyclings, inefficient systems, and other negative things when it will be all over and windows will be closed again in the winter? We all need passive houses and a green new deal, don't we? Energy conservation, save the trees, CO emissions, and other recent worries seem quickly forgotten.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes