Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

House remodel radiant floor

Jayps142
Jayps142 Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I'm currently doing a full remodel of my 1965 house (small 24X40 house). I'm re-insulating all my house up to code and eliminating air leakage. I live close to Montreal, Canada (-22F winters).

I was looking into the option of installing in between joist radiant heating as a primary heat source and add baseboards in my basement. I didn't do my heat loss calc yet, but I would like to know if my idea is even plausible where I live. I'd love to get rid of all my ducts.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Plausible? It should be no problem, even with your winters.

You're on the right track, starting with heatloss calculations and then working from there to find the right product as there are quite a few to choose from.

Do you want to do the work yourself or hire a contractor?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • kenjohnson
    kenjohnson Member Posts: 84
    I can tell you for sure that it is possible. I am in the last stages of remodeling a 1926 house in a cold Central NY climate (not quite as cold as yours) with underfloor radiant heat. The system functioned I designed and installed is performing a little better than expectations. With new insulation and a relentless focus on air-sealing, I'm below 20,000 BTU/hour heat loss at 0 degrees F.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    check for flooring nails that are protruding, those can be a bugger to deal with.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    Yes, Hot_rod is right.. I have to cut/snip/bend almost a few hundred per joist space (16' long x16"space) and 48 of those joists.It took me entire December month which(I used my vacation Time)
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    Hi kenjohnson...do you mind to share some good pictures of your entire system design, & install over here, please?
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel