Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

new construction

berwickberwick Member Posts: 7
WE are building a new 1600 square foot ranch home in southern maine. It will be well insulated. We want to go with an lp gas boiler with indirect hot water.Slant fin baseboard.This is a year round retirement home. We are looking for reliability above all. Should we go with a cast iron system boiler ? The mod con boilers are all new to me and i read a lot of horror stories about them. Thanks

Comments

• hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13,526
    A heat load calculation is the best first step, here is an ap for that.

Try sizing the fin tube at a few different supply water temperatures.
    If you are considering a mod con, size to 120 supply if you want to maximize the efficiency.

https://www.slantfin.com/slantfin-heat-loss-calculator/

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • GroundUpGroundUp Member Posts: 995
    Is there a particular reason for wanting baseboard? In a new ranch I don't think you could pay me enough to have BB in my home versus a radiant floor. There are many ways to skin this cat, but if you were to go with a standard high temp BB emitter there's little sense in a mod/con boiler IMO. Cast iron is going to last longer and be less trouble, though a little less efficient. Now with low temp BB or radiant, a mod/con will thrive efficiency-wise but again be more maintenance with a shorter lifespan than a properly piped cast iron boiler. If it were my home, I'd go with floor radiant and a mod/con but I don't mind a little maintenance. If it were my parents' home I'd push for floor radiant with a CI boiler as the maintenance side of things is not welcomed over there. If I were forced to have BB, whether high or low temp, I'd be happy to pay a little extra for fuel and run a direct vent cold start CI unit like a Slant Fin VSPH or WM CGI series.
    SuperTechBillyO
  • berwickberwick Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys,thanks for getting back to me.I guess cost of the radiant floor is the main reason for going with the bb .
    The additional cost of the radiant floor is minute, barely into 4 digits and will be recovered tenfold at resale down the road. A rental or quick sale house is one thing, but a brand new forever home might be worth reconsidering the option.
    I was led to believe it was very pricey.So glad you mentioned that.
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13,526
    I'd also look at panel radiators, quick responding, easily zoned. some prefer panel rads to fin tube.
    Panel rads can run down in the 120- 140F supply to give you the best efficiency.

Is the home on a slab, basement, or crawl.

http://qhtinc.com/purmo/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    kcopp
    Home is a full basement with a walkout
    If radiant is out of the realm of possibility cost-wise, you're definitely not going to like the cost of panel rads. Radiant is expensive, but not as high as you'd think compared to a properly installed BB or panel rad system. The insulation under a radiant floor is a cost that most people scoff at, but realistically that insulation should be there regardless of heat emitters. It can be skipped of course, but it's a corner that everybody regrets cutting. The tubing itself is cheap just like BB but radiant is a much more efficient heat emitter IMO.
    We have to watch our pennies , so its a balancing act between reliability and efficiency. slant fin seems to make a low water temp baseboard but i am a bit leery of mod con reliability
  • kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 3,514
    Are you located in Berwick, ME?

We are building in ogunquit maine
  • kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 3,514
    I will DM you.
    Thanks
  • GWGW Member Posts: 3,766
    Bb is a little 1980s, look at the European panel rads,
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc