Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain ultra fault indirect Domestic hot water

Hort
Hort Member Posts: 5
Recently I have noticed that during most calls for domestic indirect hot water heating that the return temperature is a few degrees hotter than the supply temperature and I get a lockout that automatically resets itself in time.
I have a post pump time set for 20 sec. but there does not seem to be a pre-pump time to set that may keep this from happening. This is DHW priority 1.
This is a recently new situation but has occurred during the heating season and now during warm weather shut down for house heat. Weil Mclain Ultra 105 series 3
Any thoughts?
Max supply 160.
mod on diff 2
mod off diff 10
Max rate 94%
Min rate 20%
Lockout usually occurs during first call for hot water in early morning

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Sounds like you have a flow issue. Check the circulator that it’s running and if so make sure there isn’t any debris stuck on the impeller.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    It may also be one a faulty supply or return sensor, perhaps its seeing a temperature differential that is too large but its not real. Test the sensors with an ohms sensor.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Hort
    Thank you both for your response and I will check both. To test the sensors is it best to test both at freezing and boiling?
    With the circulator can I disassemble the circulator and use the same gaskets when putting it back together?
    I am getting ready to do the annual cleaning so it is good timing to do all at the same time.
    Thanks!!!
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    you can test the sensors in place, look at what the control is saying for the temp then remove wires and test. The ohms scale is in the manual and it should be pretty close.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Hort
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Is the indirect on a zone valve. If it is the post purge on the pump won't do anything.
    Hort
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Check your high limit setting in the boiler settings menu. It should be at 200f. Then go to the system settings and go to priority 1. Go to temperatures and ensure that the target temp is 175 with a 5f on and off differential. I the DHW piped off of the boiler or off of the header? Be sure that the DHW direct or DHW system selection matches the piping.
    Hort
  • Hort
    Thanks uncle john!!! No zone valve