Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air handler and duct-work question

Options
During recent servicing of my oil burner, my plumber noted my boiler had been burning hot (temp was set to 190 degrees). He reset to 180 degrees which appears to be the normal residential setting. PSI had been high and lowering the temp helped (along with replacing water heater). All has been good with the psi and heating so far.

However, I have an air handler/blower in my attic which blows the hot air heat to the second level of my house. On cold nights I noticed that the blower seems to be running longer then it did in the past. I assume this is because of the boiler temp being lowered 10 degrees.

My question - is it a problem that the attic blower seems to be running long? Will that strain the motor? What is the expected life of an air handler? Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Second question, after 16 years should I have the Duct-work inspected. Does it ever just get old and perhaps separate which reduces air flow to my vents?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Are you comfortable? It's probably fine. If it's all metal duct work, it's also probably fine. If it's flex, you should have it inspected, as well as maybe an airflow test/balance.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TomGan
    TomGan Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks Steve - do you think it's okay to set boiler temp to 190 or should I keep it 180?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Keep it at 180° see how it performs, i.e. comfort.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Keep it at 180°.
    You probably have an aquastat strapped to the return pipe at the air handler to operate the blower motor.

I would think just the opposite of what you described would happen. But take a look at the temp setting on the air handler aquastat. The main dial should be about 140°. Under the cover is another dial (white). That's the differential. It should be at 10°.