Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thanks Hot Rod.

nibs
nibs Member Posts: 511
A little story if I may:
About 4 years ago, in a small restaurant, in Mexico in a rather remote little beach town, was using their Wifi, while designing the radiant floor, was listening to the Callefi talks, had just discovered this site and on this particular day was doing the heat loss calcs. While taking a break from the calcs, (rather laborious w/o any software, doing them from memory, each wall, each window etc), I read on the Wall, a line of Hot Rod's, saying something to the effect that "if you have a very well insulated house, to have warm floors you might have to open the windows". Picture reading this in 80/90 degree weather, an Icy beer at hand, I laughed and said to self, man what a lovely problem to have.
Fast forward to this evening:
We love our warm floors, especially in the mornings, often are barefoot til after breakfast, then dressed get to work on house and garden. To make certain we have warm floors in the morning, have been shutting off the boiler after breakfast and turning on the boiler again after doing the dinner dishes. Well had a chuckle just now remembering, in full brilliant technicolor being on the beach, reading that line of Hot Rods. Thanks to Hot Rod and quite a few others here, Alan et al, we have that lovely problem. We manage it by turning on the boiler overnight rather than opening the windows in the day. My little round mercury honey just cannot be programmed, so we manage the strain of getting off the couch to perform the daily task.
Cheers, thanks to all here and please stay well.
kcoppErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited April 2020
    Was that the year that you promised to stop over and buy us dinner on the way home from Mexico?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    I agree that Bob (Hot Rod) has a unique style and explains things that I can easily envision. He is certainly correct with his open the windows theory, we've gotten a few complaints over the years when the customer expected their floors to be warmer...

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Glad to help however I can👌
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Larry Weingarten