Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propex

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
Just out of curiosity what part is the primary seal? Is it #1 or #2?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I'd say #2 has a bigger and better bite.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    ChrisJrick in Alaskadelta T
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    when you disassemble a crimp type pex fitting they often look like this. So I would say the first ring on the end is primary, inner is secondary.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @hot_rod said:
    > when you disassemble a crimp type pex fitting they often look like this. So I would say the first ring on the end is primary, inner is secondary.

Do you think that creates a place for things like legionella to grow?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    Options
    depends on the temperature, legionella bacteria is all around up. remember the first know case was from potting soil.

Temperature above 140, or chemicals are two known ways to eliminate bacteria growth.

Or herd immunity :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @hot_rod said:
    > depends on the temperature, legionella bacteria is all around up. remember the first know case was from potting soil.
    >
    > Temperature above 140, or chemicals are two known ways to eliminate bacteria growth.
    >
    > Or herd immunity :)

Not sure that works with bacteria?

Another pex question.
    I plumbed our bathroom in pex a. There's two huge windows that have shades pulled down but still quite a bit of sun light gets in. I need time to get things finished. Like, a few months.

Am I right in assuming indirect sunlight isn't a concern?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @ChrisJ I ran into a similar situation when some one "temporarily" installed pex in front of a window. There was no shade used. The pex, with no shade was brittle and leaking within a couple years.

The pipe was changed and shades installed (and screwed in the down position. )Since the shades, its been many years now and no leaks.
    So you are correct. When not in direct sunlight, this should not be a concern.
    ChrisJSuperTech
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    UV light, natural or artificial, is bad for PEX. Slide some cheap home depot split foam black insulation over it.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Intplm.mattmia2SuperTech
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2020
    Options
    > @Solid_Fuel_Man said:
    > UV light, natural or artificial, is bad for PEX. Slide some cheap home depot split foam black insulation over it.

Apparently you haven't been near a store in New Jersey lately. I won't be going near one for quite a while. If it's an actual known issue I would of course go out of my way to fix it. However if it's likely not an issue I'd rather not waste precious time and money.

That being said there led lights im using in theory produce zero or very close to zero uv.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    When you can, do what @Solid_Fuel_Man said about using pipe insulation is something I have done too. A really good idea.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Get some latex paint and coat the Pex 😳 Manufacturers indicate required protection, if yours meets all the tube criteria, no worries.
    Top brands of Pex have the best protection and highest listings.

All those numbers on Pex indicate what the tube is tested to for chlorine, UV, temperature/ pressure, O2 ingress, fitting comparability, and more.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Solid_Fuel_Manmattmia2Grallert
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @hot_rod said:
    > Get some latex paint and coat the Pex 😳 Manufacturers indicate required protection, if yours meets all the tube criteria, no worries.
    > Top brands of Pex have the best protection and highest listings.
    >
    > All those numbers on Pex indicate what the tube is tested to for chlorine, UV, temperature/ pressure, O2 ingress, fitting comparability, and more.

That's the thing.
    All I can find from Uponor is that my stuff is rated for direct sun exposure for 1 month. No info on indirect exposure or even protecting it from sunlight indoors just from light fixtures etc.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    Painting pvc conduit and electrical service cable that is exposed outdoors is a good idea for the same reason. You should see what UV does to anything plastic up on an antenna tower or on a roof.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > Painting pvc conduit and electrical service cable that is exposed outdoors is a good idea for the same reason. You should see what UV does to anything plastic up on an antenna tower or on a roof.

This is why I'm still confused as to why you're allowed to run PVC vents out through the roof without protection.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    because a pipe sticking out of a roof never gets impacted by anything. probably explains how vinyl siding gets hail damaged too.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Remember that PVC and PEX are not even remotely the same! Cross linked polyethylene, has a limited UV resistance. I believe chemicals can be added to make it UV resistant, but those are not what you want in water pipe. XLPE insulation (cross linked polyethylene) has been used for decades on triplex overhead wire, which is likely feeding just about every home in the US, since the 1960s.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Looks like the fitting has a poor crimp by looking at all three fittings.
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2020
    Options

Looks like the fitting has a poor crimp by looking at all three fittings.

Crimp?
    What three fittings?

Ahh, the ones @hot_rod posted.
    Why do you feel they were poor?

@Solid_Fuel_Man
    I think everyone knows pex is completely different than PVC.
    But I suspect latex paint may be protective for both, no? I painted the Armaflex on my lineset to protect it from the sun.