Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spirovent drip

frankjc
frankjc Member Posts: 38
Hello. I have noticed that the Spirovent micro bubble resorber has a slight drip. What could be causing this to happen?
Thanks.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Probably some dirt/ scale got under the float in the unit. Now it does not seal off super well....
    Intplm.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 716
    When you replace the head, pull the wire strainer thing out and inspect it as well. I've found they sometimes come apart.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    kcopp
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,030
    This is precisely why I refuse to use Spirovents. Seems every darn one of them leaks by after a year or two.
    bob eckSuperTechHVACNUT
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Groundup
    If you have many air eliminators of any kind that leak often maybe you need to address system water quality. Water in all types of boiler systems should be checked.
  • GroundUp
    bob eck said:

Groundup
    If you have many air eliminators of any kind that leak often maybe you need to address system water quality. Water in all types of boiler systems should be checked.

No, it's a Spirovent issue and nothing further. None of the other air eliminators dribble, just the Spiro units. While I fully agree that water treatment can and does play a big role in system longevity, it's irrelevant to the Spirovent problem in 100% of the cases I've handled.

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I probably have over 25 SV and never had a leak.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • GroundUp
    edited April 2020
    Heh, ironically enough I just got home from a job that was installed 7 years ago with a 1" swt Spiro. Guess what was leaking! Water tested out perfectly, just another weepy needle. Honeywell SuperVent in the detached garage installed the same year with the same fluid was clean as a whistle.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    Probably a spec of crud under the seat, it can happen with any brand. Some brands are easier to disassemble and clean.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Manbob eck