Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Better way to filter air into furnace for body shop

Ron Jr._3
Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
Helping my buddy out at his collision place. Constant problems with dust in the burner and heat exchanger. I told him a fresh air kit will solve the burner issue. But I'm no expert at handling the inside air part. Longer return duct with more surface area for filters ? Something more electronic? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    It needs more air filtration. More filters or a larger filter with greater surface area for filtration. Might have to get creative with the design of a filter rack. Seal all return ductwork. Get an outdoor combustion air kit for the oil burner. An air boot. That dust will cause big problems with the the burner eventually.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2020
    Radiant for heat.
    Fresh air will help for the burner, and the only way to go. While you're at it, fix the flue pipe and put the barometric damper in the right place.
    The only thing he can do, is when it's safe, take off the filter, blow out all the air parts with air-air side of heat exchanger, blower wheel, etc. And do it every day.
    I have a customer with a cabinet shop, 2 giant furnaces (there when it was just a wearhouse. Blowing out filters and anything else, everyday.
    I told the story here before about the same situation for another customer where that furnace was blowing black fluffy 'snow' all over the parking lot. When I was done cleaning it (off a forklift on a pallet) I took off my pants and sweatshirt and thru them in the trash, drove back to my shop in t-shirt/boxers.
    Air systems in the shop and lots of dust/spray, just don't work, or require constant maintenance.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    radiant ceiling heat is a great solution for dusty shops when floor retrofit is not an option. Quiet, clean, no dust movement.

Strap some transfer plates and pex on the ceiling :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Possibly have some one built you a filter rack that will take 2 2 inch pleated filters ,basically a large box w two angle tracks to slide filters in I would also install 2 wide bar filter grill on the box , just 1 inch 30 day throw away s most likely change once every 2 weeks and the 2 inch pleated once a month . He should have a ventilation system set up w a collection system for sanding aside from a spray booth , but those system generally have a make up air system . I would say a yes on a air boot kit for that burner always hated servicing those units off a extension ladder not bad on gas but oil what a pia thank god no more . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Install ductwork. There's a lot of turbulence in that supply even with the Louvre.

Bring branch ducts down walls as close to 2 ft above the floor with large volume outlets to lower discharge velocity. Keep the dust down.

Duct the return down low if possible. Add another air filter down low. 1" pleated like the one in the furnace. No higher than Merv 8. Oversize the return grill.

Is there space makeup air? Exhaust fans?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies and advice. Radiant ceilings are not in his budget. But adding ductwork to the return is a viable option. I wound up blowing alot of dust out of the unit with his air hose. It's an older pulley model and the belt was shot. Changing that out brought it back to normal blower capacity for now. Thanks again.