Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How does this flame look

Northupthere
Northupthere Member Posts: 35
edited March 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I had the tune up and filter installed last week in this Buderus / Riello and there wasn’t even any ash or soot for him to vacuum. He left the Turbulator set to the sticker recommendation of 2. I guess these burn cleaner than my old house it had a Weil McLain. Video link below.

https://streamable.com/oz0wf

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    The only thing looking at a flame like that tells a professional is that the burner is firing. Or initial set up on very old equipment.
    Anyone who, after a tune up, doesn't do a combustion analysis and declares "the flame looks good" is a hack.

What were all the combustion numbers including draft?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Solid_Fuel_Manicy78SuperTechB_Sloane
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 716
    Looks like a flame. Did the tech leave you with a printed sheet of the combustion numbers? They're the tell.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Northupthere
    He didn’t have a printer so I wrote these down

86.5% eff.
    10.50 dioxide
    6.9 oxygen
    draft in the exhaust us .01 or .02
    Carbon monoxide is 10ppm
    excess air is 40
    0 smoke
  • Northupthere
    What surprised me is there’s no soot or ashes I don’t know when the previous owner cleaned it the house was a foreclosure
  • Grallert
    That combination G115 and Riello seems a great match. Very clean and build up free systems in my experience. I've installed dozens and serviced more. I assume you mean CO2 when you write dioxide. In my experience that number should be higher, closer to 12.5%. That will lower the o2 and the excess o2. You don't mention the flue temp.
    SuperTech
  • Northupthere
    edited March 2020
    Yes it was the carbon dioxide , the flue temp showed between 355 and 365 give or take. The room temp was 65ish. He did close the air shutter some but there was a 1 on the smoke scale so he left it the way it was for a 0 smoke

It has this label on the burner. It’s the same color as the boiler but the front boiler piece wasn’t here when I got the house so it looks weird. I wonder how much one costs or even if it’s available.
  • Grallert
    I'm not sure the front boiler cover is available. It's worth a look around. It's mostly to finish the boiler but it does offer a little sound and heat insulation.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,242
    Your tech isn't familiar with Buderus and Riello. Oxygen is way too high.
  • Northupthere
    He tried closing the air shutter some but that gave a 1 smoke, how else would it come down?
  • Grallert
    There could be more going on here. Pump pressure nozzle size head setting etc. or a combination of any or all of those. I'd try to get a better co2 number but what you have isn't the end of the world.
  • Northupthere
    Yea I guess it’s running clean and it certainly isn’t using a lot of fuel or smoking and sooting things up. I’ll have to look into it more at some point.
  • SuperTech
    The draft over fire measurement is critical with that boiler. I'd make sure that the draft is where Buderus specifies before worrying about the O2/CO2 and smoke.
    Get the draft correct, then set the combustion.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Northupthere
    Surprisingly they left the manual it says 0 to slightly + I’ll take that brass screw out for the guy and have it checked. He didn’t want to break the glass so I’ll take it off to ease his mind
  • SuperTech
    > @Northupthere said:
    > Surprisingly they left the manual it says 0 to slightly + I’ll take that brass screw out for the guy and have it checked. He didn’t want to break the glass so I’ll take it off to ease his mind

You don't have to touch the glass or remove it. There should be a brass fitting right next to it with a flathead screw in it. Loosen the screw, attach a manometer hose over the fitting and read the draft on the manometer.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,047
    Forget about the glass. The glass is useless.
    The tech should have a small control screwdriver. You just loosen the screw. Don't remove it. One turn. Righty tighty lefty loosey.
    It seems like he doesn't have a manometer to check.