Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New cast iron boiler

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
Would you or is it a good option to use a cleaner and an inhibitor on a cast iron boiler?
Whir I said that would you also use a magnet in line?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,161
    Options
    I use a dirtmag on my cast iron boiler, gotta protect the ECM Pumps.
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    does anyone do primary / secondary on cast iron boilers ?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,161
    Options
    I have a variable speed injection pumping setup on mine. I piped it like that for boiler protection, and just because I enjoy stuff like that. I have two Taco VT2218 pumps and one Alpha 2. I also used 8 way boiler treatment in the water.
    gerrytheoilman
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    nice I want to see a pic,
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    You can primary secondary pipe a cast iron boiler. Make sure return water temp is 140 F so the cast iron boiler does not condense.
    You can put a dirt magnet 🧲 on any boiler.
    Check with the boiler manufacturer to see what type of cleaner and inhibitor you can use in their cast iron boiler.
    Fernox claims when you clean a old boiler system with their cleaner you can transfer the heat from the water to the cast iron radiators, cast iron baseboard or copper baseboard faster saving up to 15%.
    So putting a new cast iron oil or gas boiler or condensing gas boiler into a old heating system and not flushing and cleaning out the system you are not doing the best you can do for your customer.
    Sure everyone looks at the boiler AFUE but that is only one part of a Hydronic heating system. You need to look at the complete system.
    New boiler plus flushing and cleaning the system and then running the boiler and heating system at the lowest supply water temp you can to heat the house you can really save your customer some good money on their heating costs.
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @Snowmelt

I would primary/secondary any boiler. It's the only way in my opinion that you can be 100% sure that you have the right flow through the boiler at all times no matter what the zones are doing
    bob eckSuperTech