Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need to collect some old timers

Options
newagedawn
newagedawn Member Posts: 586
hello, i have a 1950's issue and need some help from some older heating guys, its a question about old monoflo systems, how to find the friction loss in miliinches. like how do you get 300 out of 12000? for ft of head or if you know a way to convert miliinches to ft of head a more modern term and one i understand would be greatly appreciated . I believe monoflo systems to be of great efficiency and many modern loops are based upon this system especially multi temp loops, any input would be greatly helpful, thanks old guys,lol
"The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 907
    edited February 2020
    Options
    This is what I have found out looking at the old books I have. 1 milliinch = .001 inch, 1,000milliinch = 1" and 12,000 milliinch = 1 foot, etc. hope this helps.
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @newagedawn

If you can find a copy of "Taco guide for hydronic engineers" (which I think is out of print) they go through the complete design of monoflow systems in detail.

I will look for mine and see if I still have it.

Maybe you can call Taco & see if they still have it.

@retired guy is right. 1000 milli inches =1" so 12,000 millinches =1'

so 1 foot of head =12,000 millinches
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    @newagedawn

This was from a previous post searching for the Taco guide for hydronic engineers hand book.

Found this on e-Bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Taco-Guide-For-Hydronic-Engineers-Hot-Water-Heaters-Pumps-Catalog-Manual-/223835622985

Hope this helps.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 907
    Options
    I have in my possession a copy of The IBR installation guide for residential hydronic heating systems # 200 which on pages 50 through 58 has complete instructions for mono-flo system installation. If I can get a friend to show me how to transfer a copy from my printer to my computer I will print the instructions and post them here
    newagedawn
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    If your printer has a scanning feature that's allows scanning to your e-mail address you can do it that way
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    The 1940s-50s Bell & Gossett Engineering Manuals go into detail, I believe.
    Steve Minnich
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    thanks guys, took alot of research and some groveling ,lol , but i have found the number i was looking for, it is 10 ft per monoflo tee added to total TEL and thats it, each branch is completely separate to the TEL and need not be added,but each branch should have a 1psi pressure drop to induce flow,
    a shout out to @stevesan for that book, TX U, i do not have that one and will purchase it
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    SteveSan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @newagedawn

here's a 1949 B&G hand book with monoflow systems in it if you wan't it.