Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of radiator is this?

I've had many people come and look at my system and nobody has yet been able to figure out what exactly were running here.

We have a one pipe steam heat system, there is a front panel that comes out with a screw lock that allows us access to the air vents installed behind the radiator. There is also a horizontal rib that runs along the base of it, which seems to carry the steam and condensate? Any ideas?


    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,021
    Can you show pictures of the radiator with the cover removed?
    Both ends of the rad.

    Also pictures of your boiler showing the sight glass and controls.
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,943
    edited January 2020
    Think that might be a Weil Mclain radiator (if memory serves me correctly). Think that its midway through the EDR book. The front panel connects to the heating element (cast iron convertor). The front panel has steam in it and is part of the radiator. The air vent screws into the inside of the front panel. Real pain to work with. Need to disconnect to supply valve union to get the front panel off and change the air vent.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 843
    Looks like a Weil McLain to me, pretty common around here in NJ.

    Might want to consider purchasing this book, I find it to be very valuable. https://heatinghelp.com/store/detail/e-d-r-ratings-for-every-darn-radiator-and-convector-youll-probably-ever-see
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,943
    @ScottSecor. Guess we were typing at the same time
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 843
    @STEAM DOCTOR Since I type so slow that happens often... You typed much more than I did, yet I bet it took you half the time.
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,734
    I agree- Weil-McLain Raydiant or Solray.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,094
    I thought it might be a Weil but I’m not quite sure it’s been a while since I ve ran into some but I don’t remenber there being any sort of fins on them . I mostly only had seen them as gravity hot water and never a one for steam . I recently ran into one similar to to-yours which was steam and which I could not find in dans edr book and also the vent was mounted inside the unit and looked to be 50 or 60 years old ,they did t go for a vent upgrade so i didn’t go any further into the vent removal process but I was scratching my head . There was o bottom cover and the passage to get to the vent was impossible figures I had to pull being the back was semi open unlike the weils I remenber . I was quite sure that it wasn’t a Weil ,the Weil had no fins just passeages sort of like a recessed rad ,but surely had no fines . I had thought it might have been a thacher but that home had a mix of cast rads and cast convectors and then that oddball ,original homeowners said that’s the way the home came when they moved in still had a ideal ( timkim ) day tank and stuff in place w the original ideal instruction for coal firing I quest they didn’t remove when it went to oil lit s always a history lesson some days Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Nick7887
    Nick7887 Member Posts: 5
    I am buying if anyone knows where to get them? Can't find on craigslist anywhere.
  • D2Drisc
    D2Drisc Member Posts: 1

    Looking for help finding more corner flanges at floor and frames that surround these Weil McLain radiators??? Keep refinishing them throughout this house but so many are missing parts to look complete.
    Long Beach Ed