Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil lgb 15 clicks but doesn't complete firing sequence

Options
Keeps clicking. I've replaced the control, relay and ignitor. new wire coming this week. What else could it be?

Comments

• icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    What's clicking?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Does pilot light?
    Does main burner light and then go out?
    Flame sensor clean.....good ground back to module?

And not to insult your intelligence, but is the gas stop and gas valve turned on?
  • john_122
    john_122 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    electric start pilot. main burner does not light and go out. new flame sensor ignitor. good question on the ground back to module. Not sure how check that other than visually. Module has been replaced.
    gas stop and gas valve in "on"position. The left half of the boiler works correctly. Right half has clicking sound only.
  • john_122
    Options
    clicking is electronic ignition. appears to create a flame but will confirm. I think problem is gas valve not opening in firing sequence and appears to be electrical issue.ie. the ignitor is not proving out. Hence the replacement of the ignitor, module and relay. i think all of these were good so problem has to be elsewhere in firing sequence.

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    Most of the time we find inadequate ground. Might want to disconnect and clean all ground connections, perhaps sand or wire brush the connections if necessary. Next step is to see if the main gas valves (typically 24 volts) are getting power.
  • john_122
    Options
    I will do so but what confuses me is that everything except the wire is brand new. Perhaps the problem lies in the connection between the spark ignition and the ignitor. I'll see see what the wires look like.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    If you are familiar with meters you could test the ground, incoming voltage, voltage to gas valves, flame signal, gas pressure, etc. We normally do all of these things before we replace any parts.
  • john_122
    Options
    I am familiar with meters but probably not as good as you are.
    Will see what I come up with.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    is the right side pilot orifice plugged by chance?
    im assuming a LGB15 is large enough to have two full separate ignition systems
  • john_122
    Options
    it has two systems just as you state. The right side pilot orifice is plugged in..no response. I am replacing the wire from the new pilot to the ignitor as soon as it comes in. i like the way you are attacking the problem, ie., if all parts save the wire are new than the problem must be in the wire or voltage as you suggest. There is no smell of gas so my supposition i s that the gas valve is not receiving the signal to open,ie. not proving out.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    Another sneaky problem is that the main burner with the flame sensor has a plugged orifice. Tiny spiders like to build thier webs in the orifices. I think this is the far left burner on each base.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • john_122
    Options
    I did remove the pipe to install the new ignitor and seemed ok but will check again. it's either a flow problem or an electrical problem. has to be.
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    You have multiple parts you could swap if you want.
    But it sounds like poor grounding. You have pilot flame? ....run a wire from the pilot assembly to ground and try it again.