Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor installation question

Options
What's the best way to get pex through the subfloor and into the room below it where the manifold and boiler are? I have all the sleepers installed and I am getting ready to put in the pex. Do I drill holes at an angle so I can avoid bending them as much as possible? Do I take a piece of wood and drill holes through it for a makeshift holder of sorts? I have 4 loops entering the subfloor so I have 8 total pipes going through.

I am going to assume you want to avoid bending pex at 90degrees for water flows sake.
Thanks

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    yes, drill a as low as an angle as you can, you end up with a bit of an oval hole, but it is the least stress on the tube that way.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • RedMonte85
    RedMonte85 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    I am laying a floating floor over this, should I be spreading these incoming tubes out a few inches from each other or should I try to keep them as tight as possible while maintaining the integrity of the plywood. The manifold is about 3.5' under the subfloor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    At some point they all need to gather together at the manifold.
    It may be easier to slot the plywood subfloor and put some 2X cross bracing between the joists on either side of the slot to support that cut.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • RedMonte85
    RedMonte85 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks Bob