Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell triple aquastat question

Options
JohnKV
JohnKV Member Posts: 12
edited January 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Woke up to a cold house this AM, no power to the burner motor. Just had my Honeywell aquastat replaced a few months ago, now it needed another. Anyway, the repair man didn’t have the exact replacement as the old one so he installed this Honeywell L8124 A 1007 which has a HI/LO and also a 10-25 differential setting. What do you all recommend for settings? He was going to set it at 200 HI but I asked if 180 wasn’t the standard and he agreed. Any input is appreciated. I’ve only cast iron radiators, hot water is supplied by a stand alone, electric water heater. New aquastat is the 2nd pic, 1st pic is the original that lasted a few months.
egansen

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Keep in mind that your new control with the low limit is going to keep your boiler hot 24/7 unless you shut the power off.

You can wire a switching relay in to prevent this. I guess thats all he had on his truck

I usually set the high limit at 190 but 180 or 200 is fine. I wouldn't go over 200.

The high limit only comes into play if the boiler produces more heat than the heating system can distribute

I would be somewhat concerned that the other aqustat failed, did they try to find the cause??. Check voltage, check amp draw??

Those Honeywell controls are pretty reliable
    JohnKV
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I recommend you have the tech come out and put the right one on.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SuperTechGrallert
  • JohnKV
    Options
    So I got the tech returning in the AM, maybe I should set the low limit all the way down so I don’t have to stay up all night to kill the power when the thermostat is up to set temp?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    It's not a big deal, set the low limit to 130. If the stat is not calling during the night the boiler may fire up once or twice to maintain 130 it will only run for a couple of min.
    JohnKV
  • JohnKV
    Options
    I set the low to 120 and it seems to heat better than ever, the previous single aquastats didn’t hold thermostat temp as tightly for whatever reason. Radiator upstairs was always 10 degrees cooler.