Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

4 inch valve repacking kit

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
Hello again all, last week I ordered a packing kit for the 4 inch steam valve, how hard is this going to be?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    It doesn’t look very old……?—NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Looks pretty crusty. Are you doing this in place or pulling the valve??

I think I would suggest pulling the valve and putting a spool pc in so you can still heat while repairing the valve
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 909
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You may need more parts than just a packing kit. I would call a Honeywell rep and ask what repair parts are available for that V5011A-1858 zone valve. They may be able to sell you the whole bonnet . Don't forget to buy a new linkage kit. If you feel that the rebuild would be too much for you then call an HVAC contractor for help.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @Snowmelt .....@retiredguy makes some good points. Start with all anticipated parts that you can think of as well as asking the manufacturer's rep, (or call tech support directly) what you also might need.
    Also try to find a way to keep the heat on using another line/a bypass line ? Before you start you may want to make some marks on the old shaft to help with adjustments when you get the valve up and running.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I am planning on putting a "block off plate" i did get the linkage as well as the shaft I did have the Honeywell guy out, he actually told me that Honeywell gave that valve up to another vender. the motor was still working which was a good thing. with saying that i am waiting for the parts to come in............