Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

hex wrench size for Big Mouth Air Vent BJ-3BM?

rhodebumprhodebump Member Posts: 118

I feel exasperated. I have a set of large hex wrenches (3/8 through 3/4 inch) but nothing fits
1/2 too small
5/8 too big
9/16 too small

I am about to grind a chisel to install, but I wish I could just have the order the proper tool. Is it metric? Is my hex set defective?

I appreciate pointing out my mistake.

-Phillip

Comments

• FredFred Member Posts: 8,423
    It's a 5/8" Hex
    rhodebumpSTEAM DOCTOR
  • rhodebumprhodebump Member Posts: 118
    Fred said:

It's a 5/8" Hex

I will try it again, and verify the size on my hex.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 6,971
    A little grinding or filing on the 5/8" hex or chisel.
    Or a bolt with 5/8" head with 2 nuts jam locked to wrench on.
    BobC
  • Hap_HazzardHap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,263
    edited January 8
    15 mm is right in between 5/8" and 9/16", but I can't see Barnes and Jones using metric sizes.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA

1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • SailahSailah Member Posts: 824
    You can just asemble it and crank it in to bury the threads. Loosen the union nut and readjust
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • LardLard Member Posts: 58
    > @JUGHNE said:
    > A little grinding or filing on the 5/8" hex or chisel.
    > Or a bolt with 5/8" head with 2 nuts jam locked to wrench on.

This is the method I used, but a little more “Ohio Hillbilly”. I used a junk spark plug with the insulator removed inserted “engine side up”—the large diameter and long threads afforded a nice place to get a good bite with a small pipe wrench. It worked! Said spark plug is now welded to a cracked chinesium 15mm socket I had laying around, creating a dedicated 1/2” drive “Big Mouth socket”

5/8”/16mm is an oddball Allen wrench size, but certainly is not an oddball hex bolt size!
  • rhodebumprhodebump Member Posts: 118
    All, I found out that the hex set that I bought on amazon was junk. People verified with digital calipers that the 5/8 hex was off. I bought a 5/8 hex from a different vendor and it fit perfect. I think there are some tools that are even worse...than harbor freight (audible gasp from the crowd here) ;)