Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

proper placement of temperature and pressure gauge

mmillerrr
mmillerrr Member Posts: 2
so i just read "pumping away". great book absolutely loved it. one question i have is now that i know better ways of piping my boilers, where is the proper place to put my temperature and pressure gauge so it wont be affected by the pumps. currently i am piping it immediately out of the supply side of my boiler. followed my the low water cut off. but now it seems that it would be affected by the suction pressure of my primary pump. so where does it go? the point of no pressure change? which seems like it would defeat the point. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The main objective of the pressure gauge is to indicate the fill pressure. As such it will not be affected by the pump as it typically not running when you fill the system.

The gauge can be useful for indicting pressure loss which could be a leak.

Typically on the boiler is where you find them. Install it at the expansion tank connection and a running g circulator will not change the pressure, but a temperature increase will.

If you want to check and confirm then pump performance a gauge on either side would show you ∆P.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mmillerrr
    mmillerrr Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your comment i appreciate it