Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can installation of a new fan inducer cause gas valve to go bad?

Just had a new fan inducer installed on my Utica ub 90 boiler because the motor was starting to go bad. The inducer is on the outside of the boiler. right afterwards, I noticed very loud clicking sounds in succession whenever the boiler would turn on or turn off. Trch came back out, bled the system thinking that it was air trapped in the pipes. Nope. Same issue. We removed the cover of the boiler and observed that it was taking multiple clicks for the pilot light igniter to go on. He said it could be either a bad sensor for the pilot light, or something with the gas valve itself. Two questions. one, would installation of a new fan inducer cause this? It was not happening before that. And two can the gas valve be cleaned rather than replaced if that is the issue? Here's a video attached. Thx

https://youtu.be/GS4D8om1mfM

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I would think only if you made a wiring error, the inducer/switch is bad, or some loose wiring.
    What do you mean by 'the motor was starting to go bad'. Problem may have not been the inducer at all.
    The gas valve can be cleaned for inbound sediment but that's about it.
    Probably need some more advanced troubleshooting with your meter, and to check gas pressure.
    steve
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Almost sounds like an air pressure switch clicking making the gas valve click. Had something similar on a furnace burner with wacky pressure switches.

In any event, air in the water pipes would not be the first thing to check for burner erratic operation. You might have a parts changer working for you, IMO.
    HomerJSmithSuperTechDZoro
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    > @JUGHNE said:
    > Almost sounds like an air pressure switch clicking making the gas valve click. Had something similar on a furnace burner with wacky pressure switches.
    >
    > In any event, air in the water pipes would not be the first thing to check for burner erratic operation. You might have a parts changer working for you, IMO.

This was my initial thoughts, I didn't watch the video. His description sounds like an air switch or centrifugal switch malfunctioning. Make sure pressure switch tubing and nipples are clear, and the vent. Then it is time to check pressure on the tubing with a manometer.
    DZoro
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @needsmorecoffee

First thing is to check the air pressure proving switch. Remove the tubing and blow through it it may be plugged with dirt or lint. Then check to see if the switch is making contact after the inducer starts. You need an electrical test meter and someone who knows how to use it
    SuperTech