Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Vents and Oversized Radiators

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited January 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Air Vents and Oversized Radiators

Fast vents vent fast. And because they do, they let steam enter cold radiators much too quickly. With all that steam roaring in, the condensate that rapidly forms inside the cold radiator has a tough time leaving. Vent radiators fully, but don’t vent them too quickly.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ps44
    Ps44 Member Posts: 30
    Wow, brilliant! and Happy New Year!
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    edited January 2020
    Wow Dan, talk about timing!
    Literally (20 minutes ago!) replaced all my vents with Gorton 5, 6, C and Ds (big radiators!). However, I have a lot of mains venting (2 big mouths at the end of the line), a Hoffmann 75 at the end of one long run (looks nice in the kitchen!), and some Gorton #1s at the end of the main's furthest riser on the 2nd floor. But now, if I end up with the Fountains of Versailles, I know what I did wrong!
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • dayengineer1
    dayengineer1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a fountain of Versailles coming out of the steam radiator in my kids' room on the 2nd floor. I replaced the vents a few weeks ago with quick vents to increase the heating rate. Now searching for the solution - I think this article is pointing me in the right direction. How do I know which vent to use?
    Also - I unfortunately replaced a large radiator in my foyer (windows, entry door, stairs to 2nd floor in same room) with a smaller modern governale - now that room is always cold - anyway I can increase the heat output on that radiator?
  • Is the EDR capacity of the new Governale radiator the same as its predecessor?
    there may not be a solution short of reinstalling the original one.
    for the leaker, reinstall the original one or one with changeable orifices. Is the supply valve completely open?
    What sort of Main vents are on the system? It’s wise to put large main vents on, with slower ones on the rads.
    Post some pictures of your boiler and its piping.
    Was the boiler ever skimmed when first installed. Dirty boiler water can be thrown up into the pipes, and can travel far.—NBC