Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

50% Defective Big Mouths in recent order

Options
2»

Comments

• GregWeiss
    GregWeiss Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I had a couple go bad recently. one steamed the finish right off a Gorton 2. I put a Gorton 1 there temporarily.
  • bmma
    bmma Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2020
    Options
    3rd time was not a charm for me with the Big Mouth. My first one didn't close properly and leaked a small amount of steam throughout the heating cycle. They sent me a replacement disk and that was even worse, essentially wide open and pouring steam throughout the cycle. I sent the entire thing back and they replaced it with a completely new Big Mouth. It is similar to the first one I installed, and leaks steam throughout the heating cycle. It does close most of the way, but not completely and leaks a small amount of steam, even after several minutes. I've opened it up and checked to make sure the O rings are in place and there's no debris preventing it from sealing correctly. I'm going to stick with the Gorton #2s as they seem to work better, at least for me.
    luketheplumber
  • shaggy1
    shaggy1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    Options
    ok, so here I am with my first post. I'm sure there's more than enough knowledge on here to solve any heating issues i have . To start with i live in a 6 story building with 4 risers off our boiler. There are complaints of pipes banging. I'm working on checking the pitch of all the radiators). On the risers to get more air out I installed a hoffman #74 which wasn't venting well ( it could have been oversized) , So I switched to a gorton #2. It didn't work at all, so I just put a small vent on there until i decide what to put . So here is the question that's possibly going to start a battle ... Should I try another #2 , a big mouth (i was going with them , then i came across this thread) ..or where space permits install multiple smaller valves ? Like everyone , I'm looking for dependability. I can't routinely be accessing peoples apts. to change valves.
    thanks for any help
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    @shaggy1 This post seems like a good candidate for a new thread, where it might get more attention. My own experience with a 3 floor building is 1 Gorton D works well for each of 4 risers. I have a pair of Gorton 2s on each main in the basement and ventrite 1s on the radiators..
    luketheplumber