Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain HE II Boiler Issue

Options
Looking for some input on why my Boiler doesn't always fire. I have to go and turn the service switch off (normally twice) to get a flame. It runs fine for the rest of the day. When I take the cover off, I see the orange glow, and hear the click. I have to reset it a couple times once daily to get the flame to fire up. So weird..

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,946
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hmmm...... so many questions to ask. What is your heat source? Gas, oil, LP ? Gas correct?
  • Steve_Slota
    Steve_Slota Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I have propane as the fuel source. Hot Water Base Boards for heat
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    How long has it been since it was last tuned and cleaned? Could be in need of just a good ole cleaning?
    D
  • Steve_Slota
    Options
    I get it done once a year. It has been doing this since the end of last heating season, and picked up right where it left off.. Maybe it's haunted..
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Options
    You should have a contractor trouble shoot your boiler.
    Another subject with your boiler is venting. I "think" the HE II was sold when "high temperature plastic vent" was used. I suggest you look at your exhaust vent material. If it is plastic it should be replaced with stainless steel. There was a national recall on the plastic vent, if it deteriorates and leaks you can end up with CO in your house and then are subject to CO poisoning. Check and ensure you do not have plastic exhaust venting!
    Please note I am NOT knocking your boiler. It is a good boiler. Just make sure it is vented safely. Slant/Fin used to manufacture boilers that used the plastic venting material, that type of boiler now uses stainless steel vent.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    Intplm.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Looked at previous posts, is your venting galvinized pipe?
  • DZoro
    Options
    Did you mention it to your hvac guy? They are pretty simple boilers to work on and clean. Like others mentioned the venting should be all stainless steel piping.
    D
  • Steve_Slota
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you for the responses! My venting is not plastic (thank God). It is tin. It runs directly from the boiler, 6ft up and directly vented to the outside. I have had draft issues before when the winds are howling out of the North. I lean a piece of plywood in front of the vent, and it does the trick. The light on the board would be blinking indicating a safety shut off. It happens only when it is extremely windy. But this flame thing is a head scratcher to me.. PS- I just swapped out the board back in August. There was a brown out that destroyed the board. Also I do have a CO detector less than 10ft from the boiler.
  • DZoro
    Options
    Your vent piping should be and needs to be stainless steel.
    Galvanized will leak and deteriorate, your dealing with positive pressure and lower exhaust temperatures which will destroy the galvanized pipe. Elbows and seams can/will leak due to the positive pressure from the boiler exhaust fan. Especially in windy situations.
    A proper vent hood should eliminate wind issues. Plywood leaning against a exhaust termination definitely is not good.
    Brown outs are hard on any electronics.
    You mentioned that you changed the board, was it a exact model number matching board for board?
    What board is in the boiler?
    Did you check your transformer voltage?
    D
  • Steve_Slota
    Options
    Thank you DZoro. It was the exact same model Board that I replaced. I had to go to a Weil McLain dealer to get it. Was very easy to change. Plug and play. I like the idea of getting the vent piping changed. I'm going to give that a shot. Having to reset the Boiler everyday is getting old..
  • DZoro
    Options
    You may have also lost your gas valve during the brown out. You mentioned you see the orange glow and then hear a click. That click you probably are hearing after the igniter lighting could be either the contactor or the gas valve. A couple other things that may not be right is your low voltage. You should be able to measure 24v at the gas valve. The other is a high gas pressure situation. Really should have a technician come over to fully check your system out, measuring volts and gas pressures, and confirming proper valve operation.
    D
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Are there any combustion adjustments that are stored in the control board on that boiler that would need to be re-adjusted by a tech after it was replaced?