Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Collectors

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited December 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

imageCollectors

Each object comes with a story. Sit with it. Hold it. Be quiet with it and think. Listen to it. Search for the right books and read about it.

Read the full story here

Roohollah

Comments

• Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I used to be a locksmith, many years ago, before I went to pharmacy school and began my current profession.

I remember, just once, visiting the lock museum at Terryville, CT, once home of Eagle Locks (now Lori, or at least they inherited their keyways), on the way home from somewhere farther away. This was long before I was old enough to take such long trips on my own (we lived in Brooklyn then), so I was with my parents and siblings. I was probably the only one of the five of us who was interested; I could have spent the whole day there, while everyone else was itching to get back ion the car. One of these days I have to take my wife and kids there.

It's funny, I've been reading this site for 9 years now, I never knew you were into old locks. I don't have much in the way of this, but I do love to see them in the wild, as it were; this past summer I and my family visited West Point, and of the whole group of us who were waiting outside the Protestant chapel (we're Jewish, so stayed outside while the tour went in). I was probably the only one who was ooing and ahing over the locks on the doors and ignoring the rest of the architecture...
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    I was never into locks until I became a member of The General Society. It's hard not to marvel at them once I had a chance to get a good look. You should visit, Shalom. It's an amazing collection.

https://generalsociety.org/?page_id=140
    Retired and loving it.
  • scranton65
    scranton65 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    This was a wonderful article. You find things of beauty everywhere. As a youngster I was content to think of myself as an appreciator. I think I acquired that from my parents. They have both recently passed away and we had to sell their house and it’s contents. Very humble people but in every way appreciators of the most common things. This article about locks and keys brought it lovingly to mind. Drawers and bookcases carefully apportioned; TV Guides all the way back to the 50’s and scissors of all kind so interesting in their shapes and workmanship and blue and red Danish coffee pots. Thank you so much for your lovely article.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Thanks, @scranton65. I'm glad my story brought back such fine memories. Thanks for taking the time to share them with me.
    Retired and loving it.