Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swapping out Taco Viridian VT2218 pump, Can I leave impeller housing/casing and just swap motor

Hi All,

I am swapping out a Viridian VT2218 dela T pump on my radiant heating system. I got one of the originals years a few years back and it doesnt seem to be working well anymore. TACO was really nice and they are sending me the latest model as a replacement (I read online that the first batch weren't the greatest) .

My question is can I just leave the impeller housing connected, remove the 4 bolts and replace the motor without having to deal with draining the boiler. I dont know if its common practice but the plumber who set this up 5 years ago did not set isolating valves around the pump so I (the homeowner) will have to do partial drain on the boiler to close the necessary valves and remove the old pump. Can I leave the housing in place, remove the old motor and swap in the new without worrying about leaking, or I will still have to drain. Taco suggested against it just because of possible leaking at the O-rings.

Thanks

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    If I recall if you unbolt the motor water will come out regardless. But I don't remember from a few years ago.

Also they may have changed some dimensions so I wouldn't risk it
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 245
    Hi msimm, i'm with Taco Tech Support and I would suggest that you replace to whole unit. You are going from a 2 bolt to a 4 bolt connection. You will run the risk of pinching the o-ring and cause leaking and also would void any warranties with the pump. Any questions please feel free to call us 401-942-8000 we are here from 8am-5pm EST.