Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wayne model M burner gun

Options
tirebiter
tirebiter Member Posts: 2
In a Tappan warm air furnace from 1972. Intermittent use since new. A wood stove does most of the heating.

I am not interested in replacing the furnace. I want to replace the gun in the burner. It has started seeping oil at the nozzle adapter and was wet behind the adapter when I took it out to replace the nozzle this year. Nose cone and everything else is still in good shape.

Does anyone know if I can get a new gun for this that will fit without modifications ? The fitting has an 11/16" nut and larger threads outside the burner housing. It steps down to smaller threads where the oil pump line attaches.

Alternatively does anyone know of an adapter or bushing to use a newer one that does not have these larger threads ?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    It's possible the oil you see is from a cracked heat exchanger. When the blower motor comes on it's over pressuring the combustion chamber and affecting combustion.
    At almost 50 years, there is a very good chance it's cracked. This can be checked by a competent tech.
    For your nozzle line, it's probably that over the years over tightening the nozzle into the threads has caused them to deform and the mating surface is no longer flush, flat and at 90° to the thread, hence the leakage. I use a tap to chase the threads, and the tool in my avatar (nozzle resurfacing tool).

If it's a 1725 burner, I'd be very nervous about putting a modern 3450 burner on that furnace, specifically without confirming the condition of the heat exchanger.

You can call Beckett tech support to see if they can recommend a burner. They'll need make/model number, and a measurement of the combustion chamber to recommend insertion depth, and basic set up of nozzle gpm and angle, as well as starting air settings. After that you would need a competent tech who knows how to perform a proper combustion analysis and is familiar with a nozzle substitution test. Otherwise you'll make it much worse.
    Also, the burner tube diameter of any replacement will not be the same, so some proper, safe modification will be needed there also.

You can even call Wayne and see if the nozzle assembly is still available.
    If that doesn't work you can call the biggest (and a few) oil companies in town (or the one you purchase oil from) to see if they are yanking out some old equipment that has a Wayne burner on them that you can scrap for parts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tirebiter
    tirebiter Member Posts: 2
    Options

For your nozzle line, it's probably that over the years over tightening the nozzle into the threads has caused them to deform and the mating surface is no longer flush, flat and at 90° to the thread, hence the leakage. I use a tap to chase the threads, and the tool in my avatar (nozzle resurfacing tool).
    You can even call Wayne and see if the nozzle assembly is still available.

Thanks for the guidance,

My nozzle and adapter are dry. The oil I see is on the tube next to where the adapter for the nozzle attaches.

I can purchase a new gun for a Wayne model Mxxx burner that looks almost identical except where the line from the pump attaches to it. I was hoping to find one that has the same end with the larger threads for mounting it.