Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Infloor Hot Water Heat Balancing Valve? Maybe?

JDTaylor Member Posts: 2
1. Is this gizmo some type of balancing or regulating valve? There's one on each tube loop coming off the supply manifold.
2. Presuming it is a balancing or regulating valve, it must be adjustable...but none of them turn and I'm reluctant to really put some torque to them - as I'm not sure if they ARE supposed to be adjustable.
3. My inquiries to a couple plumbing contractors have been "Call somebody else" and "I have no idea."
4. They are located on a manifold marked "return," but giving you an idea of what I have to deal with, they are actually installed on the supply side given the temperature differential between the two lines/manifolds.
5. My question arises as it is obvious that some of the loops need to be throttled down and others left open to balance the floor heat.

So, any help will be appreciated.


  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,498
    A Dahl Mini Ball valve, by it's proper name. With a questionable solder job above it :)
    A screwdriver in the slot could either adjust or shutoff flow.
    1/4 turn valve from full open to full close.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JDTaylor
    JDTaylor Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!