Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud knocking in a Taco 222 Universal Flochek valve

Options
Nelson_4
Nelson_4 Member Posts: 38
edited December 2019 in Gas Heating
Hi,
We have a 28 year old Burnham I-6 system, and have lived in our house for 6 years. It's hot water with radiators. This year for the first time there is a steady and loud knocking that seems to be coming from valve above the boiler. The knocking sound like a large metal ball is in there, and resonates throughout the whole house. It only happens when the boiler is running, about every 5 to 10 seconds it will clang 3 or 4 times.
A plumber came out and agreed that the sound was coming from the valve. He said he would have to come back and drain the whole system to replace the valve as there is no shutoff.
Does that seem reasonable? I only ask because when I researched this issue, a lot of people said it only happens if there is air in the system, and that valve is not likely to fail.

The heat seems to be working fine, by the way. It's more of a nuisance because I am a light sleeper and it wakes me up.
Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Usually noise from the flow chek is air related. I’d try a full proper purge before replacing it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Nelson_4
    Options
    Thanks! I take it that is not a DIY job...
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I didn’t say that. I said I’d make sure the system was properly purged of all air first to see if that solved the problem.
    The check valves are repairable and/or replaceable. Depends on your skill level.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Nelson_4
    Options
    The valve was broken, after all...it was replaced today and the system is silent!
    Happy Holidays!