Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

F&T trap piping problem

BigfatBigfat Member Posts: 1
Hello Guys, I work for a mechanical contractor and I have not posted on here in many years but I do look up information on the website but I am stuck on this one.
This is a small school. 2 pipe steam Weil McLain series 80, natural gas 10 section boiler. The system has 2 motorized zone control valves with a boiler feed pump. The one zone has a water seal before it enters the boiler feed tank the piping goes under a doorway and comes back up. That one zone splits into 2 mains which have F&T traps at the end but no main steam vents. The one main has condensation backing up badly I drained at least 40 gallons today. The F&T trap is a Barnes and Jones FT2015-3, and the piping out of the outlet goes upward to tie into the dry return. The static head is minimal only 4-6” drop, 50% of the insulation is missing and there is no steam pressure to help the condensate along after the zone valve close. This clearly has been a issue because there was a boiler drain on the 3/4” tap on the wye strainer with a bucket hanging on it. I really do not want to change the F&T trap out because I don’t think it is going to work properly anyway. The other main on this zone they have room to drop the T&F trap but that main is not experiencing the same issue.
Is there a trap I can use in this situation that will be better to use? Can you install a main air vent on the inlet pipe to the F&T trap instead of trying to pipe in a tee on the main? Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Comments