Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Danfoss valve heads

I’m working on a college campus and there are danfoss valves everywhere missing their hats. They must be older models because all the replacement heads we have are threaded. Is there a website that could point me in the direction of which heads could use on these valves?

Comments

• Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68
    The Danfoss valves on your radiators are the old RAV series (likely 1980s or earlier), you'll need an 013G8072 adapter along with an 013G8252 operator (assuming you want a valve mounted dial with integral room temperature sensor) The packing gland, if there is stem leakage is 013U0070.
    bigpete638Alan (California Radiant) ForbesJohnNY
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You mean like danfoss.com?
    steve
    bigpete638JohnNY
  • bigpete638
    bigpete638 Member Posts: 74
    Thank you Bill_17!
  • Bill_17
    Correction, you should use 013G8250 if you want a valve mounted dial with integral temp sensor, the 013G8252 has a valve mounted dial with remote temp sensor.
    bigpete638
  • bigpete638
    We just need to adjust manually. It’s tough getting parts around here. I was told the adaptors were ordered. I doubt it but I’ll just push for new valves if possible. The pins in half the valves don’t move. The t stat guy mentioned those can be replaced as well but after purchasing all material, it might cost same as new valves.
  • JoeEngineer
    JoeEngineer Member Posts: 16
    The pins often get stuck, especially over the summer. Before replacing all the valves try (gently) freeing them up.
    bigpete638
  • bigpete638
    @JoeEngineer is it safe to use a solvent such as yield or wd40 to assist in freeing them?
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    It might not be cheaper but within the ballpark and you would have all new parts and you won't be replacing the valve bodies next year, thus reducing labor cost taking them apart and putting them back together.
    bigpete638
  • Bill_17
    You should not use any oil based lubricants on the valve stems, it will destroy the EPDM O-ring seals. Replace the entire packing gland assembly or consider replacing the valves with a current generation.
    bigpete638
  • bigpete638
    @Bill_17 thanks again. Material is in short supply. The budget doesn’t allow much and I’m working on a campus with 32 buildings. The heating systems in all of them should have been replaced twenty years ago. I’m going to need a lot of help. It’s great to be working on a high pressure plant though. I really appreciate all the information from this site.
  • Will silicone work on those valves?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    bigpete638
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    I would replace the worst offenders, or the ones in the president's office. If you can get buy in by showing results you will likely see improvements in your budget to do the rest. Over time as more valves are replaced you should also be able to show improvements in operating efficiency which will help your cause.
    bigpete638
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    The trouble with replacing all of them is that they are in a college dorm.
    The college kids will do this all over again. I've been in a similar situation. Is there a alternative valve that is more sturdy? More vandal proof?
    bigpete638
  • bigpete638
    I’m lucky to not have to deal with dorms. None on our campus. I think they have manual danfoss valves. Just an adjustable cap as opposed to a head that looks to be easily damaged.
  • bigpete638
    It appears I forgot to say thank you for all the information.  Sorry for the delay.